Track Reps, Sets, and Weights
We are very excited to release a brand new addition to your MyFitnessPal exercise diary! Using our new Gym Workouts feature, you'll be able to create a library of multi-exercise routines based on your personal workout regimen.
As an extra bonus, these Gym Workouts will now allow strength-based exercises to count towards your caloric expenditure! Note: All workouts logged specifically under Strength will still not count towards your calorie expenditure. Strength-exercises will need to be logged under Gym Workouts in order to count towards caloric burn.
*This initial version is available for US members only and will only be featured on our iOS app. However, we hope to add additional countries and Android support in the future.*
This FAQ page will provide all the information you need. Now, let’s get started!
What Are the Supported Functions
The build/log experience includes:
- Customizing Workout Routines via naming or adding descriptions/notes
- Multi-Addition of exercises
- Specifying load, rep, and duration stat data per exercise set
- Saving routines for future logging
- Logging a workout routine will update caloric expenditure
How to Access Gym Workouts
Once you tap on "Workout Routine" from any one of the three entry points below, you'll be able to build and log custom routines to your diary.
via Fab button
- Navigate to the "Home" screen of the app
- Hit the Fab (+), and select "Exercise"
- Select "Workout Routine"
via More (•••) menu
- Navigate to the "Home" screen of the app
- Tap the 'More (•••)' icon in the bottom right of your screen
- Look through the menu list and tap on "Workout Routines NEW"
- Navigate to your Diary view
- Tap "Add Exercise"
- Select "Workout Routine
How to Build a Routine
- To start, your previously saved Workout Routines will appear at the top of your Workout Routines page. You can select which Workout Routine you'd like to add to your diary, or select Build Routine at the bottom of the Workout Routines page to get started on building a new workout.
- Once you select Build Routine you'll be given the option to name your Routine, as well as add a general description or notes for this specific workout. Once you have added your Routine Name (if you forgot to you can always add it later) tap on Add Exercise at the bottom of the page to search for an exercise.
- Once you have searched for the exercise you are looking for, you will be given the closest results that we can find in our exercise database. Once you have found the exercise you'd like to add please make sure it is checked and then select Done to remove the keyboard from your screen.
- From here, you can select ADD(1). You have the option to add more than one exercise at once by searching for another exercise and checking it off. You can see how many exercises you have set to add by checking the number after the ADD option
* Please Note: You can add multiple exercises at once from this section
- Once you have added your Exercise you can then add instructions or notes related to that specific exercise underneath it's title. Weight, reps, and duration of your exercise set can be added here as well . To add more sets, you can tap on the ADD SET button in order to create more sets under your added Exercise. These added sets will duplicate the details of your last set when added, but these can be changed/modified with ease.
- In order to input or modify your weight, reps, or duration (time) simply tap on any one of those fields and a number pad will pop up for you to input your values. Please click on the blue return arrow in the bottom right when finished.
- Finally once your values have been set (and you've clicked on the blue arrow) you'll be taken back to your Build Routine page for your custom workout. From here you can add additional sets or add another exercise (and build out that exercises respective sets). Once you've finished, please tap on the SAVE button in the upper right of your display.
- Once you've clicked SAVE you're all done! You'll be given the option to log the Routine you just created immediately, or select No if you'd like to save it for later. And that's all there is to it! Remember, your saved Workout Routines will always be available at the top of the Workout Routines section of the app.
Where to Provide Feedback
Although this is our first version, we would love to hear your feedback! You can contact our support team here and they will forward your requests. We appreciate your help as we continue to improve our program!