Track Reps, Sets, and Weights
We are very excited to release a brand new addition to your MyFitnessPal exercise diary! Using our new Workout Routines feature, you'll be able to create a library of multi-exercise routines based on your personal workout regimen.
As an extra bonus, these Workout Routines will now allow strength-based exercises to count towards your caloric expenditure! Note: All workouts logged specifically under Strength will still not count towards your calorie expenditure. Strength-exercises will need to be logged under Workout Routines in order to count towards caloric burn.
*This initial version is only available in English (your personal device will need to be set to English) and is featured in both our Android and iPhone apps. We hope to add this feature to our website and iPad app (as well as provide additional languages) in the future.*
This FAQ page will provide all the information you need. Now, let’s get started!
What Are the Supported Functions
The build/log experience includes:
- Explore! Have fun reading through and adding our new pre-made routines
- Customizing Workout Routines via naming or adding descriptions/notes
- Multi-Addition of exercises
- Specifying load, rep, and duration stat data per exercise set
- Saving custom routines for future logging
- Logging a workout routine will update caloric expenditure
How to Access Workout Routines
Once you tap on "Workout Routine" from any one of the three entry points below, you'll be able to build and log custom routines to your diary.
via Fab button
- Navigate to the "Home" screen of the app
- Hit the Fab (+), and select "Exercise"
- Select "Workout Routine"
via •••More (iOS) or Menu (Android)
- Navigate to the "Home" screen of the app
- Tap the '•••More' icon in the bottom right of your screen (iOS) or the Menu in the upper left (Android)
- Look through the menu list and tap on "Workout Routines NEW"
via Diary (in both apps)
- Navigate to your Diary view
- Tap "Add Exercise"
- Select "Workout Routine
If you're not sure where to start, we would suggest first checking out the Explore section. Here you can select from a list of pre-built routines. Simply select the routine you'd like to preview, and then tap on the Log Workout button at the bottom of the page to log it to your diary.
Introducing Self-Guided Workout Routines (available on iOS only)
Self-Guided workouts are a new and enhanced way to record strength workouts in MyFitnessPal.
In addition to quick log, premium users on iOS will now have the option to start a workout routine. Users will receive end-to-end workout programming and coaching experience: includes warm up, workout of the day, and cool down to get users working hard and protect them from injury. Train Like A Pro Wherever You Go.
How to Build a Routine
- To start, your previously saved Workout Routines will appear at the top of your Workout Routines page. You can select which Workout Routine you'd like to add to your diary, or select Build Routine at the bottom of the Workout Routines page to get started on building a new workout.
- Once you select Build Routine you'll be given the option to name your Routine, as well as add a general description or notes for this specific workout. Once you have added your Routine Name (if you forgot to you can always add it later) tap on Add Exercise at the bottom of the page to search for an exercise.
- Once you have searched for the exercise you are looking for, you will be given the closest results that we can find in our exercise database. Once you have found the exercise you'd like to add please make sure it is checked and then select Done to remove the keyboard from your screen.
- From here, you can select ADD(1). You have the option to add more than one exercise at once by searching for another exercise and checking it off. You can see how many exercises you have set to add by checking the number after the ADD option
* Please Note: You can add multiple exercises at once from this section
- We know that every athlete logs their strength workouts differently. Because of this we’ve added a new feature that allows you to customize what stats you see when building and logging workout routines. When in build mode, adding an exercise will now display only empty default stat fields.
Default stat fields are fields that Under Armour Trainers believe are most commonly associated with that particular exercise. However, if you would like to hide or show more stat fields related to that exercise, you can do so by tapping the ••• Button to the right of the exercise name. You will see a new menu option in the alert dialog to Modify Stats. There you can then toggle on /off stats you are interested in tracking.
- Once you have added your Exercise you can then add instructions or notes related to that specific exercise underneath it's title. Weight, reps, and duration of your exercise set can be added here as well . To add more sets, you can tap on the ADD SET button in order to create more sets under your added Exercise. These added sets will duplicate the details of your last set when added, but these can be changed/modified with ease. If you would like to delete an added set, you should be able to remove a set by swiping right to left on the set you wish to remove (as long as you are on the Build or Edit screen for a specific routine). When you do so, a delete button should appear.
- In order to input or modify your weight, reps, or duration (time) simply tap on any one of those fields and a number pad will pop up for you to input your values. Please click on the blue return arrow in the bottom right when finished.
- Finally once your values have been set (and you've clicked on the blue arrow) you'll be taken back to your Build Routine page for your custom workout. From here you can add additional sets or add another exercise (and build out that exercises respective sets). Once you've finished, please tap on the SAVE button in the upper right of your display.
- Once you've clicked SAVE you're all done! You'll be given the option to log the Routine you just created immediately, or select No if you'd like to save it for later. And that's all there is to it! Remember, your saved Workout Routines will always be available at the top of the Workout Routines section of the app.
Where to Provide Feedback
Since this is such a new feature that we are rolling out, we would love to hear your feedback! You can contact our support team here and they will forward your requests. We appreciate your help as we continue to improve our program!